Sunday, September 20, 2009

How much time do I have?

Started an online java class (Berkley) and got a bit sidetracked. Received first "Hey, I haven't heard from you in two weeks; you know you've got six months to complete this thing" grams. Scared the hell out of me.

How bad off am I? There are ways to find this out from the shell, but Python is what I know, more specifically the datetime module:



[GCC 4.2.1 20070719 [FreeBSD]] on freebsd7
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import datetime
>>> date2 = datetime.datetime(2010, 3, 4)
>>> date1 = datetime.datetime(2009, 9, 20)
>>> date2 - date1
datetime.timedelta(165)


Time to get on the stick. (Today's Sep. 20, end of all things is March 4 next year, 165 days to go to produce a lot of code that actually works and is designed right).

Notes:

My overuse of certain constructs and modules (datetime, list comprehensions) reminds me of a German penfriend I had in high school who described, somewhat distainfully, a visiting American German teacher, clearly full of himself, thusly:

Der typische Ami, der nur sieben Wörter Deutsch kann und sie immer wieder verwendet. (The typical Yank who knows seven words of German and uses them again and again).

No comments:

Post a Comment