Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Coding POV-ray in Python

My past two posts were basically on the same topic as this one.  The difference now is that I was able to write Python code as I would normally write it with functions, dictionaries, and loops and still come out with valid POV-ray code on the other end.  It's about a third of the length of the equivalent POV-ray code and, for me at least, easier to understand and read.

Here is the last part of the code that resulted in the scene of the three eggs below:

file = pov.File('test4.pov', 'colors.inc')
cam = pov.Camera(location = (-2, 3, -12), look_at = (0, 0, 2))
sorokolines = makesorokolines()testblock = makeredwedges()
testblockred = pov.Object(testblock, RED)
testblock = makeblackwedges()
testblockblack = pov.Object(testblock, BLACK)
test = pov.Union(testblockred, testblockblack, sorokolines)
test1 = pov.Object(test, translate = (2, 2, 0))
test2 = pov.Object(test, translate = (-2, -2, 0))
test3 = pov.Object(test, translate = (-6, 2, 0))
file.write(cam, test1, test2, test3, light1, light2, light3, light4, light5)

Now that I've proven to myself that I can code this in Python, I'd like to try something more involved like putting the eggs on a surface with a texture.

Thanks for having a look.

1 comment:

  1. This thing is great! Quite unique solution with that Python API.

    ReplyDelete